Understand the sales in your neighborhood. Your valuation is based on comparable sales between 1/1/15 – 6/30/16. This spreadsheet has all MLS sales during that time.
Identify your closest “comps.” From the spreadsheet, identify 2-3 properties near you that are similar to yours. If there are condominiums in your complex or homes on your street, those usually make the best market comparables.
- Compare your property. Understand how your property compares to the properties that sold. “Price per square foot” is a common and easy way to start. Depending on how closely related the properties are to yours, you may want to adjust for differences that affect value, such as level of remodeling, garage, age of property, lawn, and location. If you would like to see pictures of the sales, you can view Client Detail PDFs below. To compare interior finishes, it is easy to search by the MLS numbers you identified from the spreadsheet to see how interior finishes compare by clicking "additional pictures" under the thumbnail.
- Single-Family and Duplex Client Detail
- Condominium and Townhome Client Detail
- Land Client Detail
File your tax appeal by June 1st. If you feel your property value was over estimated on your Notice of Valuation, you may file an appeal. You can do this via mail, in person, or online: (www.eaglecounty.us/Assessor/Appeals/Appeal_Process/).
- Seek help if you need it. There are many different ways that property value can be estimated. Do not hesitate to enlist a professional opinion!
- Me: If you would like a complimentary valuation of your property, feel free to give me a call at 970-479-5763 or email me and my assistant at firstname.lastname@example.org & email@example.com a week before June 1st.
- Lawyer: A Vail Valley real estate lawyer can submit the appeal on your behalf. Jim Stovall and Associates does this all of the time and charges a flat rate. They can be reached at 970-949-4200 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
- County: For more information from Eagle County on the property tax appeal process, visit: http://www.eaglecounty.us/Assessor/Appeals/Overview/.